A brief history about Eastfield

The original Edinburgh and Glasgow railway engine shed in Glasgow was an integral part of the Cowlairs works complex. Eventually the sheds became overcrowded, and in September 1904 new engine sheds were opened by the North British Railway, built on an attractive green-field site to the north of Springburn.

Eastfield (65A) was the largest depot in terms of land area on the North British Railway, having an original undercover holding capacity of 84 engines in a 14 road shed, with a large number of sub-sheds. It was extensively damaged by fire in June 1919, exacerbated by its timber roof and full coal tenders. Rebuilt after the fire of 1919, its stable of engines rose to approximately 200. Eastfield ceased to have an allocation of steam engines in 1967 but continued at this time to be in the forefront of diesel engine allocation. Eastfield was one of the first depots to adopt a mascot logo, the West Highland terrier or "Scottie Dog". The emblem originated from publicity material for the West Highland line and it's use was later used to adorn the class 37 locomotives which were working the line at this time. Since Eastfield was the home depot for this fleet, it was only a matter of time before it became the depot emblem.

The shed itself survived through the changing structure of the railways right up until November 1992 when, due to the end of diesel locomotive hauled passenger trains and the decline of freight flows, the purpose of the depot fell away - closure was inevitable. The building were demolished and the track lifted. But all was not lost.

Picture © Brian Forbes 1984

Picture © Dave Kirwin 1987

Eastfield - The Next Generation

A new 14 million traincare facility was built on the land of the old depot by C Spencer Limited for the stabling of new stock that would be used on the increased services out of Glasgow to Edinburgh. The Derby based manufacturer Bombardier built several new Turbostar (class 170) DMU's finished in carmine and cream SPT livery for Scotrail. The build was funded by the Scottish Executive's Integrated Transport Fund and opened in December 2004. Consultants White Young Green were responsible for the design of the Permanent Way, earthworks profiles and drainage and were responsible for the outline signalling design. The works involved the excavation of 20,000m of contaminated material, 2.3km of new Permanent Way, 4km of track drainage, 800m of elevated cleaning platforms, a 14,000 sq ft shed and fuelling building together 5,000m of external hardstanding. The project also involved 1.5m of service infrastructure and 1.2m of signalling.

Information gathered from and duly acknowledged

The Gazetteer for Scotland
Springburn virtual museum
Ewan Crawford
C.Spencer Ltd
The Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT)

1990

09/05/2004

24/10/2004

02/01/2005

Kind thanks for the above pictures © Ewan Crawford

Kind thanks to C.Spencer Ltd for the above picture.





Kind thanks to SPT for the above article and three pictures (© The Strathclyde Partnership for Transport).